A TRUE SOUTHERN

My photo
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Being Southern is more than where I am from, it is who I am. I love the South with its great beauty and wonderful deep-south traditions. I am Bev Allen, a true Southern Belle;. I am married to the love of my life Rick Allen. We lived and raised our two children, Chris Allen and Teresa Mosley (married to Randy) in the Great Southern states. Family is important and my grandson Lane, our most precious treasure. We love God and people and devoted our lives in His service. This blog is to share a little of what I enjoy and experienced, a little Southern Joy!

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A Fall Masterpiece – The Smokies!


While living in Tennessee for several years, I always looked forward to the Fall season. Each year we would enjoy our annual retreat at Gatlinburg, TN which is a small town nestled at the entrance of the Great Smoky Mountains. This little town is a great getaway with many things to do. Crafts, skiing, site-seeing, walking trails, Ober Gatlinburg aerial tramwayand many more treats. This town has a pandemic view of one of the wonders of the South, The Great Smoky Mountains.
I would have to say that The Great Smoky Mountains are a magnificence masterpiece of nature’s beauty.  This great mountain range rises along the Tennessee-North Carolina border in the South. The name "Smoky" comes from the natural fog that often hangs over the range and presents as large smoke plumes from a distance. The fog is seen best in the morning hours about dawn. 

The Fall color display usually reaches peak levels mid-October. The reason for the mountains’ spectacular display of color is its colorful diversity of trees like sugar maples, scarlet oaks, sweetgums, red maples, and hickories. Each in own right paints a colorful display but displayed upon nature’s canvas is a sight to behold.  You will want to bring a camera when you visit the Smokies.  The two very best drives for viewing fall color in the park is Cades Cove Loop Road and Newfound Gap Road.

My favorite spot is Cades Cove, a little valley cradle along side a small creek at the base of the mountains. It has a little historical community with a functioning farm and mill. It also, has a variety of small animals making their homes safely in the cove.

So if you want a Southern Fall Getaway I believe you would enjoy the Great Smoky Mountains. 

1 comment:

  1. My favorite season...it is my happy place!!!
    -Amanda Allen

    ReplyDelete