A TRUE SOUTHERN

My photo
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Being Southern is more than where I am from, it is who I am. I love the South with its great beauty and wonderful deep-south traditions. I am Bev Allen, a true Southern Belle;. I am married to the love of my life Rick Allen. We lived and raised our two children, Chris Allen and Teresa Mosley (married to Randy) in the Great Southern states. Family is important and my grandson Lane, our most precious treasure. We love God and people and devoted our lives in His service. This blog is to share a little of what I enjoy and experienced, a little Southern Joy!

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Georgia Peaches



In the South when you think of Georgia, the first thing that comes to mind is…..Georgia Peaches. This delicious sweet fruit has a yellow and orange fuzzy skin and a sweet delicate inside meat that holds a single, large seed, making it known as a stone fruit. As a kid my dad planted free-stone peaches this simply meant when you open the peaches up the stone or pit pulled easily away from the fruit of the peach. Georgia has over 40 varieties of peaches. Last year this state produced over 85 million pounds of peaches. There is absolutely no way to describe the feeling you get when after you pick peaches all day sitting down and griping one of those beauties, busting it open, still warm from the sun and eating it right there in the orchard. Letting the sweet juices run down the side of mouth and down your arms as you bite into it.

There are so many ways to indulge in these Georgia peaches. peach ice cream, fried peach pies, peach pastries, peaches topped with a heavy cream, and my favorite peach cobbler. Just for you…..I am posting a quick and easy peach cobbler recipe you just can’t resist.
2 cups sliced fresh Georgia peaches
1 cup self-rising flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 stick of butter
½ tsp vanilla
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together  slowly with a beater: 1 cup self- rising flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk and vanilla  in a mixing bowl.
Pour batter mixture in a floured or spray coated deep bakeware and top with fresh peaches ( I use a large can of Georgia slice peaches). Bake 45 to 50 minutes in the pre-heated oven until golden brown. Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream….it an totally awesome treat.

1 comment:

  1. I love southern style sweet tea, but unsweet tea is good with sliced peaches added. Worth it to try it...i promise


    Amanda Allen

    ReplyDelete