A TRUE SOUTHERN

My photo
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Being Southern is more than where I am from, it is who I am. I love the South with its great beauty and wonderful deep-south traditions. I am Bev Allen, a true Southern Belle;. I am married to the love of my life Rick Allen. We lived and raised our two children, Chris Allen and Teresa Mosley (married to Randy) in the Great Southern states. Family is important and my grandson Lane, our most precious treasure. We love God and people and devoted our lives in His service. This blog is to share a little of what I enjoy and experienced, a little Southern Joy!

Thursday, September 9, 2010

A Southern Drawl'


You only have to be around me a few minutes to know I am from the South. Usually the first question I person will ask me is, not my name but “Where are you from?” I have a distinguishing accent, known as a Southern Drawl.  It is evident that a historic difference between the North and South is speech.  It is a regional dialect, stronger in some Southern states like Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, Mississippi, & Louisiana & Tennessee. Two words are a dead give away, “y’all” and “fixin’ to” which is probably part of my daily communication.
Two well recognized women, Paula Deen & Dolly Parton (which are some of my favorites) also have strong Southern accents.  A few years back, a very popular TV series, Designing Women were very charming Southern Ladies, my favorite being Ms. Julia Sugarbaker. You ask, what is a drawl? It is an accent of speech characterized by slow speech, with prolonged vowels. For me, it is adding more syllables to a word.  Like …(even that word, which is one syllable, becomes…L…I…Ke…)  I can’t help it….that’s me. Just because you may have a strong Southern drawl, doesn’t mean you are less educated which many times have been mistakenly taken. There are many great educators, doctors and many others of profound vocations with Southern drawls. It is just a form of speech. So, to round out this little thought, I will simple say, “Hope you enjoyed, Ya’ll come back now!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment