A TRUE SOUTHERN

My photo
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Being Southern is more than where I am from, it is who I am. I love the South with its great beauty and wonderful deep-south traditions. I am Bev Allen, a true Southern Belle;. I am married to the love of my life Rick Allen. We lived and raised our two children, Chris Allen and Teresa Mosley (married to Randy) in the Great Southern states. Family is important and my grandson Lane, our most precious treasure. We love God and people and devoted our lives in His service. This blog is to share a little of what I enjoy and experienced, a little Southern Joy!

Thursday, December 30, 2010

New Year's Black-eyed Peas Tradition

If you are planning to celebrate the New Year in the South, it is most likely that you will be offered black-eyed peas in some form, either just after midnight or on New Year's Day.  According to Southern folklore, the first food to be eaten on New Year's Day for luck and prosperity throughout the year ahead.  T
he practice of eating black-eyed peas for luck is generally believed to date back to the Civil War. At first planted as food for livestock, and later a food staple for slaves in the South, the fields of black-eyed peas were ignored as Sherman's troops destroyed or stole other crops, thereby giving the humble, but nourishing, black-eyed pea an important role as a major food source for surviving Confederates.
Traditionally black-eyed peas are served with greens (collards, mustard or turnip greens, which varies regionally) and sweet cornbread.

Now for the Allen House I alway cook my tradition....................uuummmm good...... 
Happy to share the recipe. You can also find this at: http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Hearty-Black-Eyed-Pea-Soup
Hearty Black-Eyed Pea Soup 

Ingredients

  • 1 pound bulk pork sausage
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 4 cups water
  • 3 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can (28 ounces) Hunt’s® Original Diced Tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
  • 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
  • 4 beef bouillon cubes
  • 4 teaspoons molasses
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • Directions
  • In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook sausage, beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Yield: 12-16 servings (4 quarts).

1 comment:

  1. Just pulled a recipe off of Paula Deen but I think I may try yours instead. I'll let you know. Thanks for sharing. Even though I'm a Chicago girl, I love the southern foods. Happy New Year, dear friend! Kathy Powell

    ReplyDelete