A TRUE SOUTHERN

My photo
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Being Southern is more than where I am from, it is who I am. I love the South with its great beauty and wonderful deep-south traditions. I am Bev Allen, a true Southern Belle;. I am married to the love of my life Rick Allen. We lived and raised our two children, Chris Allen and Teresa Mosley (married to Randy) in the Great Southern states. Family is important and my grandson Lane, our most precious treasure. We love God and people and devoted our lives in His service. This blog is to share a little of what I enjoy and experienced, a little Southern Joy!

Friday, September 21, 2012

Autumn Fun!!


Oh the smells of Autumn. I have great memories of Autumn family fun, especially when we were pastoring. Autumn in the South means cool weather, hayrides and bonfires. And you could just count on a church-wide Hayride/Bonfire when the weather started getting cool. Just throw on a pair of old jeans or other long pants, sneakers or cowboy boots. Be sure and put on a comfy sweat shirt for the evenings would be a little cool. On a wagon stuffed with hay, you would start on a magical adventure, pulled by a tractor or horse. Expect to be itchy and get dirty. There is usally sing-alongs, spooky stories, and lots of laughter. Hayrides are an easy 5 mph ride, possibly winding through corn or pumpkin patches. In the South the hayride usally will have a pitstop at a bonfire. 
At the bonfire you can roast on sticks, weenes to enjoy a smoky hot dog or marshmallows, which I like burnt black. When I was growing up, without fail, someone would start to tell a ghostly tale that would have all of us kids on the edges of our seats, and/or someone would pick up a guitar and sing a hymn or two, which we all sang along. Then back on the trailer where happy full hayriders would snuggle close for warm for the journey back to start. It was a journey that would always fill our hearts with warm memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment