A TRUE SOUTHERN

My photo
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Being Southern is more than where I am from, it is who I am. I love the South with its great beauty and wonderful deep-south traditions. I am Bev Allen, a true Southern Belle;. I am married to the love of my life Rick Allen. We lived and raised our two children, Chris Allen and Teresa Mosley (married to Randy) in the Great Southern states. Family is important and my grandson Lane, our most precious treasure. We love God and people and devoted our lives in His service. This blog is to share a little of what I enjoy and experienced, a little Southern Joy!

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Blackberry Winter
















I can remember my Grandma telling me as a kid, "don't put that coat away, Blackberry Winter is comin'." So you ask, what in the world is that?  Blackberry winter is what we in the South called the last cold snap in the weather before warm weather is here for good and blackberries were in bloom.  Living in Arkansas that was usually late Spring. And the creek banks and woods would be in full bloom with expectation of blackberries and I absolutely love blackberries!!


The blackberry has a deep black color and feels plump when fully riped. It will then pull free from the plant with only a slight tug.  If the berry is still red or purple, it's not ripe. Blackberries in the South will peak during June in the South. 

As a kid I would grab a bucket and spend some time walking the creek banks that ran alongside the woods across from our house. Sticking my hand carefully in the thorny bushes I would pick those delicious berries and proudly take them home for Grandma to cook my favorite dessert.  Homemade Blackberry cobbler. I can just picture it now, nice warm cobbler served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. (hint: you would have to be careful though, the seeds would get caught in your teeth, and the berries would turn your mouth blue) but it would taste awesome.

Here is the recipe:  Blackberry Cobbler
2 1/2 cups of fresh or frozen blackberries
1 cup sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 c milk
3/4 c of butter

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, stir together blackberries and sugar.  Let stand about 20 minutes or until fruit syrup forms.
In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt and milk.  Stir in melted butter until blended.  Spread in a 8 in square pan prepared with non-stick spray. Spoon blackberry mixture over batter.  Bake 45-55 minutes or until dough rises and is golden.  Serve with whip cream or ice cream.

I also, enjoy Blackberry tea.  It has a cool refreshing take during those warm summer evenings.  I usually use the Lipton Tea brand.

So if you think winter is over!! 
Just wait...."Blackberry winter is coming!"
to remind us to look for Blackberries!

No comments:

Post a Comment