A TRUE SOUTHERN

My photo
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Being Southern is more than where I am from, it is who I am. I love the South with its great beauty and wonderful deep-south traditions. I am Bev Allen, a true Southern Belle;. I am married to the love of my life Rick Allen. We lived and raised our two children, Chris Allen and Teresa Mosley (married to Randy) in the Great Southern states. Family is important and my grandson Lane, our most precious treasure. We love God and people and devoted our lives in His service. This blog is to share a little of what I enjoy and experienced, a little Southern Joy!

Friday, March 1, 2013

Peaches.....peaches!!

Some of my favorite memories growing up was how much my Dad loved and enjoyed his peach orchard on the family farm.  The peach is a very popular fruit in the South. Peaches have a yellow or whitish flesh with a large stone(seed) in the middle. They have a delicate sweet aroma and taste. My Dad trees however, were free-stone peaches.This means the stone or seed is easily removed from the meat, making it a good choice for eating fresh, picking it right off the trees. They are also, excellent for canning and cooking.  
Many a days my Dad during the long summer evenings would walk through the orchard and pick a peach off the tree, break it open and bite right into it, letting the juice drip off his chin.

I would like to share my Mom's recipe for Easy Peach Cobbler, feel free to cook one up and enjoy. Best served warm with a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream.

  • 1 stick of butter
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 cup milk 
  • 2  1/2 cups fresh peach slices or 1 large can of sliced peaches with the juice

Preparation.
  • Combine flour, butter 1 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt; add milk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened and well blended. Pour batter a 13- x 9-inch baking dish (prepared for baking).
  • Dump peaches and juice over the batter (do not stir). 
  • Bake at 375° for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. Serve cobbler warm or cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment